Thursday 2 April 2015

Dear Pasta Lady.....

Home-based chefs, where have you been all my li(i-i-i-i)fe? No, seriously… Where were you?

We, “delhi walas”, have extremely stubborn taste buds and there’s no compromise when it comes to food, like being served ginger that is 1mm thicker than it’s supposed to be is no less than a sin. Oh, and we don’t believe other people’s reviews about food either because I mean, what do they know?

I have this extremely specific flavor for pastas stuck in my palate and even though Karachi is pretty good with Italian varieties, it lacks the knack of perfecting a Spaghetti Bolognese or Lasagna.
Unlike my usual self, today I decided to lift my egoistic, self imposed food standards and order from the most talked about “lasagna girl” in town. Yes, I jumped on the Maria Khan-Syed bandwagon.

 I was guilty of sending my car later than the time I had promised her, but she was sweet enough to give me heating instructions. I wasn’t too eager to taste the lasagna initially to be honest; I had bet it would be like the home/bakery mini “peezas” served at my first 11 birthdays!
My heart melted at the first look and okay fine, my mouth did water a bit (read: dog drool). I was able to cut a perfect square piece for myself without it slopping out of control and bit into my first, still doubtful, bite. Damn! This isn’t me being all Taylor Swift on food, but I think that piece of lasagna really was why I had waited all these years – totally writing a song about it. 


                               (For the first time, the actual thing was exactly as shown on the eatery's page)

The endless cheese oozed out from the layers every time I cut a bite out and every layer had a different flavorful story to tell. I’m not lying, this pasta lady really knows her way with the trickiest of flavors. I’m still staring at the leftovers wondering why my stomach won’t allow just ONE more bite. I’ve never appreciated minced chicken this much being a “gosht-khor”.  

These ladies are setting a trend - first Saniya’s Khao Suay and then this masterpiece of a lasagna by the Pasta Factory.
Splendid days beginneth.


Dat cheese tho.

No comments:

Post a Comment